Dried raw Jackfruit is made from homegrown organic Jackfruit.
Raw and matured jackfruits have a green coloured thick outer skin with a prickly presence. Once it is carved open, we could find white coloured jackfruit bulbs with each bulb containing an oval shaped seed. Since jackfruits are not available all-round the year, raw and matured jackfruits can be sliced, dried and stored for later use. These sun dried jackfruit slices can be used for the preparation of various jackfruit recipes like Chakka puzhukku, pickles and jackfruit chips. The seeds are also edible and taste similar to chestnuts.
Method of preparation(Chakka puzhukku)
- Soak 250gm of dried jackfruit slices in clean water for 3 – 3½ hours. The water should be on level with the jackfruit slices.
- Once it is soaked for 3 – 3½ hours, the dried jackfruit pieces would drink up the water and increase its size.
- Do not drain off the water, since it will reduce its benefits.
- Transfer it to a thick bottomed vessel and cook it for half an hour. Close the lid of the vessel while cooking. (In between, check whether the jackfruit is cooked or not)
- Meanwhile, ground the sufficient quantity of grated coconut, green chilies, turmeric powder, curry leaves and shallots to form a coarse mixture. Keep it aside.
- Once jackfruit is cooked, presence of water would be less. Now add the coarse coconut mixture on top and sprinkle some salt for taste.
- Close the lid and simmer it for few minutes. When the steam comes again, open the lid and mix the ingredients with a ladle. The dish will be of a greenish yellow texture.
- Serve hot with Kantari mulaku chutney or non-veg curry.
200g, 500g, 1kg
Kasaragod, Kerala, India