Alternatively known as the holy basil or ocimum sanctum, tulsi is a common name in most Indian households. Easy to grow and widely found in the Indian subcontinent, not only is tulsi a revered, holy plant in Hinduism; it also finds its place in the ancient science of Ayurveda. Tulsi is commonly found in two varieties – the green coloured Lakshmi tulsi and the purple hued Krishna tulsi.
Tulsi is worshipped, is offered the gods and is grown in many Hindu households not in vain but for a well-established reason – this humble, inexpensive herb comes loaded with a host of benefits. Tulsi is extremely beneficial for humans. From warding off some of the most common ailments, strengthening immunity, fighting bacterial & viral infections to combating and treating various hair and skin disorders – just a few leaves of tulsi when used regularly can help resolve a host of health and lifestyle related issues.
Common Benefits of Tulsi
1. It acts as a detoxifying, cleansing and purifying agent – both from within and without, prevents Kidney stones.
2. Therefore it is good for skin – both when consumed and applied topically.
3. It is also effective in treating skin disorders, itching and issues like ringworms. An effective insect repellant and can aid in treating insect bite.
4. It can be made into teas or can be had raw, powdered, paste or in form herbal supplements. Regular tulsi consumption can also aid in balancing various bodily processes.
5. It has antibiotic, anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-carcinogenic properties. Destroys the bacteria that are responsible for dental cavities, plaque, tartar, and bad breath, while also protecting the teeth. Also can wards off harmful effects of free radicals.
6. It helps in relieving from fever, headache, sore throat, cold, cough, flu and chest congestion.
7. Helps relieve stress, strengthen immunity, and facilitate proper digestion. According to a study, tulsi can help in maintaining normal levels of the stress hormone – cortisol in the body. Also beneficial in treating conditions like hepatitis, malaria, tuberculosis, dengue and swine flu.
8. It is loaded with phytonutrients, essential oils, Vitamin A and C
9. It counters elevated blood sugar levels and is therefore beneficial for diabetics. Also helps in regulating uric acid levels in body, thereby elimination risks of developing kidney stones. It is also beneficial for those who have kidney stones.
10. Beneficial in treating respiratory ailments like chronic bronchitis, asthma etc.